How to record a break in learning

Further education and training providers


Last updated

From: Education and Skills Funding Agency

What is a break in learning

If an adult learner requires a break in their learning, then these must be recorded in the Individualised Learner Record (ILR). 

A break in learning means that:  

  • You and the learner have agreed to suspend learning while the learner takes a break from learning. This allows the learner to continue later with the same eligibility that applied when they first started their learning.
  • ESFA will not fund a learner during a break in learning.
  • You must record the date a learner takes a break in learning and the date they restart their learning in the ILR.
  • You must have evidence that the learner agrees to return and continue with the same learning aim; otherwise, you must report the learner as withdrawn. When the learner returns to learning, you must re-plan and extend the remaining delivery as required.
  • You must not use a break in learning for short-term absences, such as holidays or short-term illness.

If the learning aim that the learner was following is no longer available when they return (in other words, the certification date has passed), then you cannot class this as a break in learning.

This limits the length of time that a learner can have as a break in learning. 

Further guidance

Further guidance on recording breaks can be found in:

Need support?

You can talk to our community for peer to peer support.

If you have a specific query about that is not covered by this information or the guidance, please contact us using the Customer Help Portal.

Other ways to get help

Talk to our community

Discuss topics on further education and skills with other providers.

Contact us

Use our web form to submit an enquiry.

Is this page useful?

You have 500 characters remaining

Other helpful resources