Using capital allocations, Condition Improvement Funds (CIF) and Urgent Capital Support (UCS)

Maintained Schools Academies


Last updated

From: Education and Skills Funding Agency

Capital allocations and CIF

Schools and responsible bodies should use their capital allocations to maintain and improve their buildings. 

You can also apply to the CIF if your organisation is eligible.

The core priority for CIF is to keep academy and sixth-form college buildings safe and in good working order. 

This includes funding projects to address health and safety issues, building compliance and poor building condition.

We’ve published capital funding and support programmes for single and multi-academy trusts for further guidance. 

If your school or academy buildings have issues that need immediate attention you may apply for Urgent Capital Support.


What is Urgent Capital Support?

It’s for organisations that require funding assistance to address urgent building condition issues that put at risk either the safety of pupils and staff, or threatens the closure of the whole, or a significant part of the school.


Who can apply?

UCS is for academies and sixth-form colleges who do not have access to a School Condition Allocation (SCA), and have a genuine and immediate need for urgent support that cannot wait until the next round of funding opens.

Where an UCS application meets the criteria for support, and we identify that the responsible body has insufficient reserves to manage the issue directly, the department may provide a loan or grant to support remedial work. 

Need support

If you have a specific query about capital support, please include any relevant information in your query through our enquiry form or by reviewing the  UCS guidance and application form.

Other ways to get help

Talk to our community

Discuss topics on further education and skills with other providers.

Contact us

Use our web form to submit an enquiry.

Is this page useful?

You have 500 characters remaining

Other helpful resources